Issues Facing Families
New Directions - Supporting Families of People in Prison
"Not my crime, still my sentence"
Families can be affected in all kinds of different ways. Typical of the challenges to be faced are:
- Coming to terms with having a family member in prison
- Needing support and advice in dealing with this new reality
- Getting to know how the prison system operates
- Maintaining contact and a sense of relationship through visits, letters and phone calls
- Planning for release and all the issues that brings up
While there are many consequences to having a family member in prison, every family and every individual responds to this reality in their own unique and personal way.
If you wish to contact us, we will be happy to talk with you and support you during this challenging time.